Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thanksgiving

Every time this holiday comes around, it is a time to reflect on what one is thankful for in their life. I have a great family and a house to live in, with a roof over my head. I am working a job that does not necessarily thrill me, but it's money: something that has been missing since I was downsized in 2010. I have never been one to adapt easily to new things without anxiety and terror, but I fight through it and know the goal. I am a writer, and until it takes off, which I remain possible it will, I will do what I need to do. I am thankful that I have a loving wife that is supportive and is a partner as well as best friend.  I am thankful for my kids who continue to keep me young, although at times I feel they are aging me a hundred years. My beautiful daughter who still amazes me as I look at her knowing I was a part of creation. Sometimes it is hard to remember that I was also that age, and I see myself in them from time to time. Mistakes I made are repeated, as they will continue to be, I am sure. Hopefully some can be avoided with the proper teaching and advice. I have a few good friends that I am thankful for their continued presence in my life.
I am thankful for the memories of days gone by and of many Thanksgiving meals shared around my family's table, cooked by my mom most years, and by me most recently. I was taught well. Memories of my dad, who passed away in 2009. A man that taught me responsibility and used humor as a tool in may situations, and is something I rely on in my own life. Our family wasn't perfect, far from it, but there were life lessons to be learned and I have come out stronger for it. Not to say there haven't been issues I carry with me to this day, but who doesn't? I have very fond memories of my grandparents on my dad's side (my mom's parents passed when I was very young, so I do not have much recollection, unfortunately), with plenty of times spent at their house on the lake down the road from us, before they moved to Florida, and with it a whole new set of memories, including trips to Disney World. Plenty of time spent in Fredonia with my aunts and uncles and all my cousins, with sock throwing sleepovers and much fun. I can't relate everything that I am thankful for or I'll be writing forever. I am also thankful for the good health that we have, for working in a hospital setting right now, I see others saying goodbye and dealing with serious illness, and I am sad for their problems. I hope that they are able to recover or find the peace that will come. So I guess my hope for all of you taking the time to read my thoughts, is that you will take the time as well to remember all that you are thankful for, and the memories and experiences that helped shaped you for who you are today. Peace and love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Stop Bullying Me! I'm A Zombie. So What?" Channel 7 News Report

Ed Undead: Dead Like Me (The Chronicles Of A Teenage Zombie)

Ed Undead: Dead Like Me (The Chronicles Of A Teenage Zombie)
Novel coming soon!